Saturday, February 9, 2008

English as a second language

One of the interesting things about our trip to Ghana was the opportunity to learn a bit of the local languages. Ghana has many languages, English as well as 9 other official ones and a total of 79. However, Akan (and others in the same family) is the primary one for Accra and areas West of the capital. In Sogakope the local language is Ewe. All of the children speak English at school but in the village people mostly converse in Ewe. The children at Living Faith tried to teach me a few useful phrases. I can't say that I was a great student. Unfortunately, my keyboard doesn't have many of the characters so until I figure that out I can't post what I learned. Until then check out some of the Ewe story called Headless Crabs.

No comments: